I want to share with you some direct quotes that I have received since I have started this blog.
- Be sure that if you drink pop, it is diet.
- Put away the diet soda. It is your enemy right now.
- You should try Weight Watchers. It really works!
- I’ve tried Weight Watchers three times. It didn’t work for me.
- Egg Beaters are a great option because they are low calorie and low cholesterol.
- Eat real eggs instead of egg substitutes.
- People like to stress over working out, but what you eat is what really matters.
- If you have the right workout, you can pretty much eat what you want.
- I have been converted to those Body by Vi shakes. You should really try them! They are so filling.
- Those ViSalus shakes are a scam. (And they taste bad too.)
- Low Carb diets reset your body, causing your sugar and carbohydrate cravings to decrease.
- When people do those low carb diets, they usually just end up pigging out on carbs and putting all of their weight back on.
Do you see where I’m going here? It’s not that I don’t appreciate advice…I actually welcome and enjoy it. But if I would let myself take everything to heart that everyone has told me, my head would start spinning like the little girl on the Exorcist and I may actually explode.
The only other subject that comes to mind where people seem to have as many opinions and contradictions about what works and what doesn’t may be the topic of child rearing. Cry it out, don’t cry it out. Breastfeed, bottle feed. Cow’s milk, goats milk. Spank, don’t spank…people can get downright vicious. As a new mom seven and a half years ago, I really stressed about those things as well. Now, with my second kid, I am so much more relaxed. I can hear people’s advice, take it into account and then choose to use it or dismiss it. I’ve learned that while one option may be better for one person, something else may work better for me and my family.
In many areas of weight loss, I’m finding it’s the same. There are certain things that may work for you that may end up derailing my progress (and vice versa). I am realizing that true success is going to be found in accepting that there is no magic solution. No perfect program. No magic pill. It’s a matter of trial and error and finding out what works for YOU.
I’m not saying to disregard all advice you get. I believe that when we ask for wisdom regarding certain things, our information usually comes in the form of advice from wiser people…but I AM saying to do what you can do. Don’t let all of the different options and opinions out there bog you down mentally to the point where you don’t do anything. If you are eating McDonalds for breakfast, Taco Bell for lunch, and Pizza Hut for dinner every day, I guarantee you that pretty much any diet you go with will be a better option than the one you are currently on.
Small changes are better than no changes. And if it doesn’t work for you this time, don’t give up in frustration. Take note that it didn’t work, dust yourself off, and try something else.
Just don't stop trying.